A lifeboat was established at Padstow prior to 1825. The RNLI took full control of the boat and station in 1856. The current lifeboat station is located at Mother Ivey’s Bay, Trevose Head having been resited from Hawkers Cove in October 1967 due to river silting. The lifeboat can now launch into deep water at any state of the tide.
The James and Catherine McFarlane was the first lifeboat to be housed in the 1967 boathouse. She gave sterling service until 1984 when she was replaced by the Tyne Class Lifeboat James Burrough 47-003. The Tyne Class was replaced in 2006 by the new Tamar Class Lifeboat Spirit of Padstow 16-04. Because the Tamar Class is much larger than the Tyne a new, state of the arts boathouse was built alongside the 1967 boathouse. On Completion the old boathouse was removed.
First established: 1825
All Weather LB: RNLB Spirit of Padstow – Tamar Class All Weather Lifeboat (16-04)
Launches in 2008: 14
People Rescued in 2008: 28
Total Hours at Sea in 2008: 49hrs 51mins
Medals since 1824: “30 (28 Silver, 2 Bronze)