The latest Accommodation deals

Over 2000 properties - Updated Hourly !

Dramatic Lifeboat Rescue

Falmouth Lifeboat assist Fisherman

Dramatic Lifeboat Rescue – Car plunges over Cliff

At 22:17 Falmouth Coastguard requested that both Falmouth Inshore and All Weather Lifeboats be launched following a report from the Police that a car had gone over the cliff from the Castle Drive on Pendennis Point. This was a dramatic lifeboat rescue with Falmouth Coastguard Cliff Rescue Team, Fire Brigade, Ambulance and Police units were also tasked to assist. A helicopter from RNAS Culdrose was also put on standby.

The Inshore Lifeboat launched from her slipway at 22:22 and arrived on scene at 22:27. The car could be seen at the base of the cliff and two lifeboat crew were put ashore to assess the situation and provide immediate first aid. It was soon confirmed by the lifeboat crew that both casualties were out of the car which had fallen 30-40ft and were in no immediate danger. The Coastguard Cliff Rescue Team and Fire Brigade personnel began making their way down onto the rocks to assist in the recovery of the casualties. Once the All Weather Lifeboat arrived on scene at 22:37 it stood off and provided additional lighting with its search lights.

Once the paramedics had arrived on scene and assessed the casualties it was decided that the best way to evacuate them was by sea. Having immobilised the casualties they were transferred one at a time by stretcher to the Inshore Lifeboat and taken out to the All Weather Lifeboat which was positioned offshore. By 23:48 both casualties and their accompanying paramedics were onboard the lifeboat and at 23:58 both lifeboats headed back to the lifeboat station where the casualties were landed to waiting ambulances before being taken to Treliske Hospital.

The Inshore Lifeboat was back on its slipway by 00:15 where it was refuelled, rehoused and was ready for service by 00:50.

Although both casualties had only suffered minor injuries, they are extremely lucky to have survived considering the distance that the vehicle had fallen. This incident involved over fifty members of the emergency services working together and their excellent team work ensured the two casualties were reached as quickly as possible and then evacuated to hospital by the safest and quickest means.