The Lost Gardens of Heligan Cornwall
The Lost Gardens of Heligan,
The Gardens that time forgot
The Lost Gardens of Heligan is the largest garden restoration in Europe, and has now become one of the fastest growing visitor attractions in the West.
The gardens are situated in close proximity to the picturesque fishing village of Mevagissey, and are regarded as a monument to three generations of the Tremayne family. Covering 57 acres and a further 100 acres of ornamental woodland, there is an mpressive range of plant breeds and features, including, an Italian garden, a crystal grotto, summerhouses and the Flora Green Lawn surrounded by giant rhododendrons.
Originally dating back to 1780, the gardens fell 'asleep' throughout the two World Wars when little time was allowed for the pleasures of gardening. In 1991, a restoration team ploughed through the mountains of bramble and creeping ivy to discover the forgotten orchid houses, vineries, peach houses and even a pineapple pit. The range of horticultural buildings also discovered, allowed the story of the 19th Century gardening to be exposed.
The gardens have now been remodelled in a Victorian tradition with special emphasis on the walled kitchen garden, which has now become the only working 19th Century garden in Britain, producing peaches, melons and even pineapples.
A visit to Heligan could take 2 hours or more, and still offer new and exciting features and plants each time it is visited. There is also the chance for visitors to purchase some of the plants seen within the gardens at the plant sales area, to act as a souvenir of your visit.
From St Austell, follow the B3273 towards Mevagissey. The Gardens will be signposted from this road, just past Pentewan.
The Gardens are open daily between 10am and 4.30pm throughout the year.
There is ample free parking on site.
- There is a tea room and toilets area.
- A plant sales area and a large undercover seating area is available.
- Large sections of the garden are suitable for the disabled.
- Stout footwear is recommended for wet weather days.
- Dogs at the Lost Gardens (See below).
Heligan Pentewan Nr Mevagissey Cornwall
Tel: 07126 845100
Dogs at Heligan Gardens
- Between 1st April and 30th September, dogs are not admitted to the Gardens.
- Between 1st October and 31st March, well-behaved dogs on short leads are welcome into the Gardens.
- Dogs are not permitted to enter the Heligan Tearoom, Stewardry, Shop or Plant Sales at any time.
- Assistance Dogs Are Welcome All Year.
- Unfortunately we are unable to offer any shaded parking areas for vehicles carrying dogs.