The Lighthouses of Cornwall
Lighthouses around and off the Coast of Cornwall are operated and maintained by Trinity House. The National Lighthouse Museum in Penzance was closed in 2005 and the collection moved. The Lizard Lighthouse has a visitors centre which is well worth a visit.
- Trevose Head Lighthouse – built in 1847. Situated some 4.5 miles from Padstow.
- Godrevy Lighthouse – built in 1858 on Godrevy Island in St Ives bay.
- Pendeen Lighthouse – built in 1900 on Pendeen Watch headland.
- Seven Stones Lightvessel – anchored 15 miles WNW of Longships Lighthouse.
- Longships Lighthouse – first built in 1795 1.5 miles out from Land’s End.
- Wolf Rock Lighthouse – first beacon built in 1795 8 miles from Land’s End.
- Round Island Lighthouse – built in 1887 2.5 miles north of St Mary’s.
- Peninnis Head Lighthouse – built in 1911 on the southern tip of St Mary’s.
- Bishop Rock Lighthouse – first started in 1847 on an isolated rock SW of Scilly Isles.
- Tater Du Lighthouse – built in 1965 near Penzance.
- Lizard Lighthouse – first built in 1619 at the end of the Lizard peninsula.
- St Anthony’s Head Lighthouse – built in 1835 at entrance to Falmouth harbour.
- Eddystone Lighthouse – first built in 1698 8 miles off Rame Head.
Trinity House has three main functions:
It is the General Lighthouse Authority for England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar, responsible for a range of general aids to navigation, ‘signs of the sea’, from lighthouses to radar beacons.
It is a charitable organisation dedicated to the safety, welfare and training of mariners.
It is a Deep Sea Pilotage Authority, licensing expert navigators to act as deep sea pilots for ships trading in Northern European waters.
The Corporation also inspects buoys provided by local harbour authorities.
It no longer provides local pilots for entering ports. Contrary to popular belief Trinity House is not (and never has been) part of HM Coastguard although it does work closely with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
Trinity House’s activities as a lighthouse authority are financed from “light dues” levied on commercial shipping calling at ports in the United Kingdom.Trinty House Web Site