Penryn is one of Cornwall’s most ancient towns. Penryn appears in Domesday Book under the name of Trelivel. Founded in 1216 by the Bishop of Exeter. The borough was enfranchised and its Charter of Incorporation was made in 1236. In 1265, a religious college, called Glasney College was built.
The Town occupies a sheltered position and was a port of some significance in the 15th century. When Henry VIII began disestablishing the Roman Catholic church, Glasney was torn down in 1548.
By the 1600s, the port was thriving with the trade in Cornish tin and copper. From 1554, Penryn held a parliamentary constituency,It received a royal charter as a borough in 1621. Penryn is now part of the Falmouth and Camborne constituency.
In the early 19th century, granite works were established by the river and large quantities of the stone were shipped from its quays for construction projects both in the UK and abroad.
Today, Penryn is a bustling town and has managed to retaining its heritage. A large proportion of its Penryn’s buildings date back to Tudor, Jacobean and Georgian times. The town has been designated as an important Conservation area.
The local museum is housed in the Town Hall and brings the history to life. The town is in the parish of St Gluvias.